EXPERIENCE THE EVERGLADES
Explore Iconic Florida Wilderness
Naples is the gateway to one of America’s largest and most pristine wilderness areas and two of its most beautiful National Parks. Our hotel near the Everglades is an excellent base from which to experience this national treasure and we strongly recommend that our guests set aside a day to explore the parks.
10 Quick Facts About The Everglades - Provided By Everglades Foundation
- One out of every three Floridians (8 million people) rely on the Everglades for their water supply
- The Everglades comprise the largest subtropical wetland ecosystem in North America
- The Everglades is a World Heritage Site and an International Biosphere Reserve
- While it is often described as a swamp or forested wetland, the Everglades is actually a very slow moving river
- Once spread out over 8 million acres, the Everglades ecosystem reaches from the Kissimmee River to Lake Okeechobee, where waters from the lake slowly move South toward Florida Bay
- America's Everglades is home to 73 threatened or endangered species
- Just months after Florida became a state in 1845, the legislature took the first steps that would lead to draining the Everglades
- Periphyton, the mossy golden-brown substance that is found floating in bodies of water throughout the Everglades, is the dominant life form in the River of Grass ecosystem.
- The Everglades is the only place in the world where the American Alligator and the American Crocodile co-exist in the wild.
- The ubiquitous grassy plants know as sawgrass (a sedge), have serrated, razor-edged blades of grass that are so sharp they have been known to cut through clothing.
Big Cypress National Preserve
This National Park expands 729,000 acres across Southwest Florida, neighboring the Everglades and is home to a mixture of tropical and temperate plant communities, a wide variety of wildlife and even the endangered Florida panther.
- There is an entrance to the park located on US41 (Tamiami Trail)
- A variety of activities are available and include:
- Art exhibits and demonstrations
- Canoeing and kayaking
- Off-Road Vehicle Use
- Ranger-led activities
Everglades National Park
The Everglades covers over 1.5 million acres in Florida, and three counties including our own. The park is easily accessible through Everglades City.
- The closest entrance to the park from the resort is located in Everglades City
- Activities include but are not limited to:
- Canoe trails
- Bird Watching
- Ranger-led programs
To book a memorable Everglades experience, please contact our Concierge team by dialing 239-254-5600 or make an online request.
Our Partnership with The Everglades Foundation
Being so close to one of nature's most unique and complex wonders - and having a slice of the Everlgades on our own property - we are dedicated to educating our community of locals and guests from afar in the importance of Everglades conservation. This video is a great overview of how the Everglades play a role in our everyday lives.